Sunday, July 13, 2008

God's Good Gifts

" Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong." Job 1:20-22
These are Job's words after losing his livelihood and all his children and grandchildren.

Last week in Sunday School Darien taught a "biblical one-liner" on Job 1:20-22. The past week afforded many opportunities to reflect in renewed and abundant thankfulness for the many good, unmerited gifts God has given. When each of us were born we "popped out" (Noelle's terms) with nothing on and devoid of any possessions. Within moments of our entry we were lavished with love and affection from our parents, given gifts such as toys, clothing, and other infant paraphenalia. Nourishment and a place to call home came without our earning it or deserving it and God has kept on giving for these many, many years.

The more compelling thing I was challenged with in looking at Job's example of many losses and his God honoring response was how he responded to the wonderful, abundant God-given gifts being taken away. Are the gift that God has given mine to keep? How tightly do I grip these gifts? If our dwelling place burnt down, our child was diagnosed with terminal illness or injury, my physical or mental capacities were crippled, or Darien was called home to glory...what would my response be? Would I, like Job, grieve and in my grief worship God for His immutable goodness? Would my heart turn to seeing these wonderful gifts as returning to their Author and Provider.

Below are some pictures of God's good gifts from the past couple months (sorry I fell off the face of blogspot for a while):




3 comments:

julie said...

Libby~
great pictures!! I'm glad luke enjoyed T-ball this year. Thanks for sharing!

Monique said...

Yeah! Luke in T-ball! So fun. Taryn looks like Luke so much in pictures. It's so good to be reminded of that truth that naked from the womb we came and naked we shall go. If you've checked my blog today you will see I've needed to be reminded of that truth! Thanks for posting! Miss you terribly and need to talk sooo soon!

Anonymous said...

Very similar.